Sunday, September 15, 2019

Cincinnatti adventures

After a ferry to Providence, train to Boston and a flight to Cincinnatti, I was delighted to find the shuttle to my hotel arranged by Mandy.

The Cincinnatti Children's Hospital team were amazing. They made me feel so welcome and generously shared their experience. The Open House held by the James Anderson team was attended by another doctor from Melbourne, another from Abu Dhabi and 6 senior leaders from Swedish Medical Center in Seattle. Together we explored various aspects of the Patient Safety journey that CCHMC have embedded in their hospital. It was fascinating and inspiring. I had other meetings with various senior leaders and explored some of my ideas about addressing social determinants of health in the community.

On Friday, I saw more of the hospital and particularly the school room. I then had a working lunch with the Director of the school program and also the lead of their Liaison Program. I learned so much about what they are doing and shared about the MCH School journey so it was mutually beneficial. The day was topped off with a 1 on 1 meeting with Uma Kotagal. She is truly generous and inspirational. It dawned on me later, that she began the Anderson Centre at the same age that I am now.

A Fountain near Burnett Woods

Walking across the Roebling Bridge to Kentucky and back.

Sunset towards the Paul Brown football stadium.

The weekend was sunny and warm so I decided to move downtown and explore more of the city. The day began early when the emergency alarms went off in the hotel and we were instructed to evacuate the building! Luckily the all clear came 15 minutes later and it was not cold outdoors.

I got a day pass for the Redbikes and explored along the river in the morning, took an Underground tour of the "Over the Rhine" area in the afternoon and explored the free weekend entertainment events around the city.

Cycled past a funrun for CCHMC.

A barge pushes it's load along the Ohio River.

Heading underground.

We sampled the beer at this brewery at the end of the tour.

Tomorrow, I plan to go to see the Cincinnatti Bengals play American football. Ed from RCH, Melbourne will join me too. I'm told a fun part is watching people "tail gating"in the car parks before the game. This is where they have drinks and food on the back of their cars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home