Sunday, March 31, 2019

Spring day in Glasgow - Saturday 30th March 2019

It was damp underfoot when I checked out of Malmaison after a very comfortable 5 day stay. Checked out the map and decided to use the subway to visit a few sights. By the time I'd walked past the Rangers Football Club to find the "House for an Art Lover"", the sun was out shining on all the flowers in the Walled Garden. The house designed by William MacIntosh and his wife Margaret McDonald in 1903 for a competition was built 90 years later by an enthusiast. I loved the light-filled oval and music rooms and deep wood panelling of the dining room. It was all set up for a wedding this afternoon.

In the garden were various sculptures too. Alaok just hung around outside whilst I looked through. Marvellous and well worth the visit.

Next stop was the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and museum. It was filled with people of all ages and I arrived in time for the organ recital. What an amazing mix of interactive and traditional exhibits. They even had 12 Leonardo Da Vinci drawings. I couldn't stop taking photos as I found new "favorites". I'll share a few.

Alaok found a few friends to hang out with. He was a bit scared of Dippy the Dinosaur, but Joshua thought the picture I sent him was "fantastic"!

My knee was a bit sore, but I traipsed on to the Hunterian Gallery as it was highly recommended. Perhaps I was too tired to appreciate it.

Eventually, I returned to collect my luggage and move to my new accommodation. It's a great apartment with a little kitchen so I don't have to eat out all the time. It's right in the centre of the city. It was a relief to ice my knee and put my feet up. We move to daylight savings and wake up to Mother's Day in Scotland tomorrow. I'll head off to a tour of the highlands.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mother Mary said...

Missing you but enjoying your travels and experiences. Lovely autumn weather here at present. We leave tomorrow for NSW for 3 weeks. Not sure which is the better way to communicate - phone didn't work. Will try email. love xx

12:01 PM  
Blogger Mother Mary said...

Missing you but enjoying your travels and experiences. Lovely autumn weather here at present. We leave tomorrow for NSW for 3 weeks. Not sure which is the better way to communicate - phone didn't work. Will try email. love xx

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home